Wit Without Wisdom, Ep. 32
Those commercial DNA tests are all the rage with more than 12 million people taking them last year alone. In this age of self-help, self-understanding, and introspection, unveiling the mysteries of our genealogy is exciting and interesting.
But only recently people have discovered the darker side of these tests and their findings. As commercial DNA databases grow larger, participants and observers alike are getting a better understanding of the good, the bad, and the ugly that goes along with “knowing” one’s genetic identity.
In this episode, we’re discussing the commercial DNA testing phenomenon and both its current and potential future implications.
Our discussion includes:
• The truth on the depth of testing and results validity
• How commercial DNA is helping police solve cold cases
• Joyous and destructive results on people and families
• What those DNA health checks really mean
• Concerns the tests are raising with privacy groups and minority advocates
• And why a DNA test might cost you more money for your health insurance in the future
Plus, a whole lot more.
So, pull up a chair and join us before you spit in one of those tubes for testing
By Writers After Dark
We’re S.K. Anthony and Raymond Esposito, your hosts at Writers After Dark. She writes those urban-fantasy–superhero-badass-chicks-with-a-touch-of-romance stories and he writes those dark fiction-things-that-go-bump-in-the night tales.
When it comes to writing, we don’t agree on genre, but we do agree that . . . we love stories . . . and one of the things we love most: hanging out in our mostly-sober, Writers After Dark studio and debating the merits of just about anything related to the story of life.